Personal vehicles are often one of our most valuable possessions. Considering how much we invest in our cars, trucks, SUVs, and minivans, it should be in our best interest to keep them in peak condition. At LOF-Xpress™, we want your vehicle to last as long as possible. Here are 9 simple steps that can be taken to ensure that your vehicle will remain reliable for many years to come.
- Change Your Oil. You know we had to lead off with this one, right? Really, though, oil changes are the number one way to keep your car running smoothly. Oil lubricates and cools the parts inside your vehicle’s engine and neglecting it can lead to reduced efficiency, increased wear of internal components, and eventual engine failure. We recommend changing your oil per the manufacturer’s recommended interval. It’s the best insurance against engine damage. Lucky for you, we offer lots of great summer oil change savings!
- Don’t Forget Fluid Changes. Oil isn’t the only fluid that needs replaced. Other fluids include: transmission fluid, radiator coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.
- Filter changes. Filters prevent debris from entering your engine. Air filters rid the air of dirt and dust, while fuel and oil filter trap dangerous sediments. Once again, we recommend replacing these filters according to the schedule set by the manufacturer.
- Check Your Tires. It is important to monitor the air pressure and condition of your tires on a regular basis. This is a great way to improve the vehicle’s fuel efficiency and safety.
- Read Your Vehicle’s Manual. That’s right, we recommend pulling it out of your glove compartment and using your manual as a resource. Vehicle manuals are chock full of great information, such as recommended maintenance schedules and how to use important functions & features of your vehicle.
- Keep It Clean! Keeping your car clean both inside and out will help it look nice and retain a higher resale value. In addition, allowing dust and debris to collect on and inside your vehicle isn’t just unsightly, it can actually cause wear on its surfaces.
- Perform Repairs As Needed. Putting off repairs can result in further damage to your vehicle…and wallet!
- Park It In The Garage. If possible, the garage is the best place to park your ride. This helps limit exposure to sunlight and protects it from our unpredictable Iowa weather. No garage? Carports, overhangs, and parking garages work, too!
- Drive With Care. None of the above items matter if you’re not driving responsibly and safely. Accelerating and braking quickly both reduces fuel economy and increases wear items like your brake pads.
By implementing these simple tips into your driving and maintenance routine, you can greatly extend the life of your vehicle. If you have any questions about how frequently to check some of these items or the current health of your car, be sure to stop by one of our two convenient locations in Ames and Ankeny and let our Green Team check it out!