Every year the middle of March brings a little bit of mayhem (& fun!) — the NCAA tournament, spring fever, return of the Shamrock Shake®, and especially St. Patrick’s Day. It’s the annual event in which even those NOT of Irish heritage, wear the color green, pinch those around them, and jump at the chance to have fun with friends and family. Whether you’re planning a day/night out on the town, or a trip to take in a St. Patrick’s Day parade, one thing is for sure: alcohol will abound and there will be an increased need for safety and responsibility!
In addition to – and often as a result of – the festivities, the reality is that drunk driving is a concern on St. Patrick’s Day, and state and local law enforcement agencies take this very seriously. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, on St. Patrick’s Day weekend from 2009 through 2013, there were 276 fatal auto accidents involving drunk drivers.
Don’t rely on the luck o’ the Irish to keep you safe! Follow our LOF-Xpress™ approved St. Patrick’s Day Safety Tips to help you successfully navigate the hoopla and festivities today (& always!).
- Don’t drink and drive. It’s a message to live by every day. Plan ahead and decide if you’ll be drinking OR driving. You can’t do both.
- Arrange a ride. If you plan on drinking, leave your keys at home or give them to sober driver. Always plan a safe way home before the festivities begin, so you can’t make a poor, last minute decision.
- Use public transportation. Uber, a taxi, the bus! Take advantage of the many options our cities offer.
- Be tough. If you know someone preparing to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make travel arrangements. Don’t worry about offending a friend – a life is worth more than a pot of gold!
- Finally, be alert! Not drinking or celebrating? Be watchful on the roads anyway. If you see someone driving whom you believe to be impaired, call 911. It’s always better to be safe than sorry…especially when it comes to saving lives!
If your St. Patrick’s Day calls for drinks with friends and heaps of green, make sure it also includes a healthy dose of responsibility!